What is HACCP?
HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points) is the internationally recognised structured operating method that helps organisations in the food and beverage industry identify their food safety risks, prevent food safety hazards and address legal compliance. HACCP is mandatory in several countries, including the US and the EU. HACCP principles and guidelines for its application have been adopted by the Codex Alimentarius Commission. The HACCP system is science based and identifies specific hazards and measures for their control to ensure the safety of food.
Who Can Use HACCP?
HACCP is used at all stages of food production and preparation processes. All organisations who play a role in the food supply chain can apply HACCP principles, irrespective of their size or geographical location. Why is HACCP important to your organisation? A structured approach to food safety using HACCP as a management tool, helps companies and organisations demonstrate their stakeholder commitment to food safety and that stated requirements are being met. HACCP is designed to deliver:
- commitment; taking a formalised approach to assuring food safety helps you demonstrate your commitment to stakeholders by meeting the demands of legislation.
- trust; customers and stakeholders will see that you take a serious and managed approach to food safety.
- competitive advantage; HACCP is a key differentiator and it can help you to become a supplier of choice.
- improved efficiencies; HACCP system assessment services can be provided to complement your existing ISO 9000 approvals, saving you both time and money.
Our HACCP services deliver against the embedded HACCP principles developed by Codex Alimentarius of the World Health Organisation to ensure your legal compliance and an effective food safety system.
- Our understanding of the complexities of HACCP allows us to deliver tangible benefits to our clients through a structured project management approach.
- We know that good communication is pivotal in delivering transparency through every step of the HACCP process. We work with our clients and governing organisations and set clear expectations to all parties on deliverables.
- Our staged approach ensures your certification process is cost-effective with minimal disruption and completed within critical timelines.
HACCP services include:
LRQA's HACCP assessments are designed for organisations that wish to demonstrate the effectiveness of their product safety and the hygiene critical elements of their operations.
Certification - LRQA offers an extensive and challenging HACCP assessment and certification service, the Requirements for a HACCP based Food Safety System.
Individual assessment - LRQA also offers an alternative HACCP assessment service to existing clients that do not require accredited certification, but that still want to benefit from an LRQA assessment of their systems for ensuring food safety. These assessments use the HACCP principles detailed in Codex Alimentarius as reference criteria.
Integrated systems - The HACCP system assessment services can be provided to complement existing LRQA ISO 9000 approvals, saving both time and money, by accommodating any duplication within the systems. Alternatively, these services can be provided to organisations that do not have ISO 9000 certification. We also offer HACCP assessment together with other food standards such as the BRC standard.